Welcome to the St. Mary’s College website. As you explore these pages, you will see what makes our school community unique, and how we provide better opportunities, better results and a better future for our pupils.
We are an independent, co-educational school with a Christian ethos, specifically Roman Catholic but welcoming pupils of all faiths. We cater for 0-18 year olds, providing children with continuity of education throughout their school lives.
Encouraging academic excellence is a vital part of our work, and we celebrated another fantastic set of exam results last summer:
- 90% of GCSE candidates achieved 5+ A*-C grades (incl. English and Maths)
- 73% of GCSE candidates achieved the English Baccalaureate (English, Mathematics, 2 Sciences, History or Geography plus an Ancient or Modern Language), more than three times last year's national average of 23%
- 50% of all GCSE passes were A*/A grades
- 41% of our GCSE candidates achieved 7+ A*-A grades each
- Almost a third (31%) of GCSE candidates achieved 9+ A*/A grades each
- A quarter (25%) of GCSE candidates achieved 10+ A*/A grades each
- An impressive 14% of GCSE candidates achieved 12+ A*/A grades
- Triplets Elise, Francesca and Nicholas Redmond achieved a staggering 36 A*/A grades between them, 25 of which were A* grades
- Star performer Ben Shenton achieved an impressive 12 A* grades
- 95% A Level pass rate
- 30% of A Level passes were A*/A grades
- Top three A Level candidates achieved 10 A* grades (plus an A) between them
The high proportion of GCSE candidates achieving multiple passes at A* or A grade, with a quarter of them achieving ten or more in 2015, demonstrates the real academic strength in depth here at St. Mary’s.
However, at St. Mary’s success is measured by much more than examination results. We place great emphasis on the development of the whole person, encouraging achievement in many fields via our rich programme of extra-curricular activities.
The college promotes caring for others, and offers significant opportunities for spiritual and moral development.
All of these factors help to make the college a learning environment in which children can develop into bright, confident young people who want to make the world better for others, as well as themselves. At St. Mary’s, we believe this is what education is all about.
I hope that you enjoy browsing our website and I encourage you to visit us and see for yourself what makes St. Mary’s so special.
Michael Kennedy BSc MA